The balance bike allows kids to discover and learn the fundamentals of riding before they can ride a pedal bike, which makes them a great option for helping kids transition to a bike with pedals.
However, finding one that your child will love and enjoy riding can be a challenge.
To assist you, we’ve picked out some of the best balance bikes for kids in 2022 to consider. All you need to do is find the one that your child will like the most, or the one you’re willing to buy.
|Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike||Best Overall|
|KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike||Budget Pick|
|Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike||Upgrade Pick|
1. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
- Learn-to-ride right from the start!
- Parts are easy to replace and single-sided axle
- Available in several colors
- Includes front and rear brakes
- Portable with its foldable design
- Wide handlebars may be difficult for growing toddlers
- No fenders including colors without a white frame
- Expensive if you live in Canada or another country with high shipping costs
- Clips are sometimes difficult to snap into position
Strider has changed the riding world with their line of award-winning balance bikes. Their 12 Sport model is their basic offering that is ideal for a child using it for the first time.
It comes with a wide wheelbase to keep kids from falling off the bike. The 12 Sport comes in several colors and has wide tires with approximate tread of 3”.
Most of all, the 12 Sport is designed to teach kids how to ride. It includes hand brakes and foot brakes for parents to help their children learn how to balance and stop.
2. KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike
- Great for toddlers
- Sturdy and lightweight
- Easy to assemble
- The seat may be uncomfortable for some
- Not good for kids over 5 years old
- This bike doesn’t have pedal option
This bike is a perfect tool for growing toddlers!
It's the easiest option to teach your kids how to cruise around the neighborhood.
With an adjustable seat post, they can grow and learn at their own pace.
3. Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike
- Adjustable Seats
- Non-gloss Black Paint
- The Drum Type Wheels
- The two colors available are black and red (red is the top choice if you ask me)
- The handlebars are not adjustable
This balance bike is made from high-quality materials and is easy to assemble.
The Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike is a nice-looking choice that may be better suited to the younger crowd.
Joovy has done a masterful job of building a well-designed, balance bike that is easy to assemble and highly durable.
4. Early Rider Road Runner Balance Bike: 14 Silver
- Early Rider is a big player in the balance bike market.
- Many options for customization available.
- The Early Rider Road Runner is one of the pricier models, but is also one of the more fashionable balance bikes for kids currently available.
- Features a sturdy wide-base made of recycled materials.
- The weight of this balance bike may mean that perfectly young children can have difficulty starting off.
- Adjustments can be challenging.
- It’s important to keep in mind that this balance bike is pricier than similar ones.
5. FirstBIKE Street Balance Bike
- Unique designed with comfortable saddle and the well padded rear seat with a rubber cover to provide a secure ride to the rider.
- Handgrip designed to ensure the handlebar is in a comfortable position and while riding the footrest.
- Fun sounding horn to let pedestrians and cyclists know you are coming up behind them.
- Brakes work on all four wheels, so riders have tremendous stopping power.
- Handlebars have rubber covers to prevent slipping.
- Tips could have been better built on the response of the wheels.
- Brakes can be too tight for kids with small feet.
- Clamping mechanism for the seat could be stronger.
The FirstBIKE Street Balance Bike with Brake, Light Blue features a strong, sturdy steel frame and high quality rubber tires. This bike helps kids learn to balance themselves by leaning and is a great way to encourage rider confidence. The bike also features great brakes to ensure safe and smooth stops.
6. Kinderfeets Classic Chalkboard Wooden Balance Bike
With Adjustable Seat from Toddler to Kids Age 10, Boys and Girls, Made in USA, SHINY WHITE.
This balance bike has ergonomic grips and adjustable seat height options, ranging from 16.9"-21.7", making it an ideal choice for kids through the early teen years.
The Kinderfeets balanced bike is designed to help your child learn to balance and hone skills while having fun riding around the neighborhood. This is one of the more affordable options, which means you should look into it even if your budget is tight.
7. Cruzee Ultralite Balance Bike
- 4.4 lbs and 22 inch seat height
- Easy step on and off
- Recommended Age: 1.5 to 5 Years; Weight Capacity: 30kg
- Suede-style handlebar grips
- Easy to assemble
- Available in 5 different colors
- 1 Year Warranty on frame
- Assembly Challenging
- Lack of instructions
- No bells or whistles
8. Retrospec Cub Kids Balance Bike No Pedal Bicycle
- Steel frame
- No tools assembly
- A great option for those who want something that is easy to assemble and use.
Retrospec is known for their aluminum bikes in the traditional bike market. In the balance bike business, they still use the same tried and true quality, but the frame is steel to keep it strong and light.
This bike can be easily assembled without any tools and it’s ready to ride in a couple of minutes. It doesn’t have any piece that is removable and can be lost by your children, so it prevents any injuries.
The handle is adjustable to fit your child at whatever height they are comfortable. Also, the seat is adjustable to fit your child at whatever size they are. The seat is padded for extra comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What size bike is suitable for a 9 year old?
It is best to go for a cycle with 16- 20 inch wheels, which is the usual size for 9-year olds. It is fitted with a suitable saddle (seat), grab bars (handlebars), footrests and handbrakes.
Decide the type of handlebars you want to use.
Depending on what the bike will be used for, a stem or a set of flat handlebars on the bike can be put up. Particularly for young kids using their balance bike, it is recommended to use the handlebar stem or the flat handlebar so they can lean forward as much as possible. If they use a set of handlebars on the bike, they can simply turn their head more easily to check in the side of the path and then they tend to be more easily scared. This can lead to accidents on the bike. The handlebar stem is recommended to save the bike from turning and your kid from falling off.
What age is appropriate for balance bikes?
Balance bikes are an excellent way for children to learn the basics about cycling. If you can teach a child how to properly balance on a bike, they can learn how to successfully ride a normal bike later on and it becomes easier for them.
However, it is more difficult to learn how to balance on a normal bike. Unlike other gear shifting techniques, such as using the pedals, when you lower your body weight to the seat, you don't have the same level of control.
A balance bike allows beginning cyclists to learn in a controlled atmosphere, giving them the basic skills they need for a normal bike.When buying a balance bike, look for one that is 14 inches wide or smaller. This reduces the space between the rider and the handlebars.
If the distance is too great, your child may be more likely to lose their balance.The best balance bikes are usually available from age one to four.
What is the best bike for a child to learn on?
In the early years, it is important to respect childrenÊ¼s boundaries when it comes to the